Final Reflections


Ryan Keller: When I signed up to go on this trip, I expected a routine service experience. That we would go here or there and build this or that for a week. It turns out that I couldn’t have been more wrong. This trip was more than seven day’s work. This trip was about cementing relationships that would last a lifetime and impacting someone's lives in a way something tangible never could. For me, working with the students at CSD embodies this perfectly. Some people go their entire lives wanting to make a difference to just one person. On this trip, we were able to impact each and every one of the students in a positive way and that means the world to me.

This experience provided more than just service for the members of our group. Through our daily team-building work and nightly reflections, we all grew closer to one another. I was able to bond with my group members on a deep level and build relationships that I believe will last long into the future. Beyond this, our trip also provided clarity for what kind of person I want to be and how I can to accomplish that both now and in the future. This service experience is truly one of a kind and had a profound impact on my life. I’m beyond grateful to have been able to participate in this wonderful trip.


Elisabeth Schiltz: Going into this spring break trip, I had a lot of high expectations, set by what I had heard about the trip from the previous year. I am happy to say that not only were my expectations met, but they were exceeded. Thank you to everyone who went on the trip, without each and every one of you, the trip would never have been what it was!

While I knew a majority of the people on the trip prior to leaving, I would never have known what I know about them know if I didn’t spend 24/7 with them for a week, disconnected and fully immersing ourselves in the trip. Not only was I able to learn more about others, but I also learned more about myself. I can’t say I was ever afraid of horses, but I pushed myself beyond my comfort zone when working with them. I learned to navigate my own energy level, especially learning how to slowly move from high to low energy or low to high energy, instead of just jumping from one to another. I learned to lead confidently and not constantly look back to make sure the horse was still following. A horse knows you better than yourself, and if you are not confident in what you ask of them, they won't follow. To see myself grow from Monday, constantly checking if Clyde was still behind me, to running and getting horses over bridges on Thursday, was an incredible experience.

While I learned about others and myself, the thing I learned the most is how alike horses are to us, and what things horses do that humans could really benefit from doing. Horses just like humans are quick to judge. It takes time for them to trust you and other horses. For example, one of the horses left Triple Play Farm for a while because he had to get a tracheotomy so he could breathe. This resulted in him losing his ability to communicate with the rest of the horses as he lost his ability to make sound and send out his biological scent (all of which come from the nose). Upon his return, no horse in the herd recognized him and he was shunned. He fell into depression as he used to be the trouble maker in the group until one of the mini horses recognized him and gradually welcomed him back into the herd. Just like horses, humans have stigmas about others, especially in appearance. One thing that is different than the “norm”, can make someone standout and not always for the better. This is a stigma that LEVEL tries to destroy and educate about. Just because you are different, doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses and we all need to embrace everyone for who they are. The last thing I learned about horses, that I hope to truly embrace is that horses don’t live in the past, they don’t live in the future, they live in the present. I find myself constantly looking back on things and wishing I could go back, or when times get tough, I wish I could just fast forward past that moment. In living a life like this, you miss out on things and you can’t always see things as clearly. Even though we have only been back a week, I constantly find myself being reminded to stop trying to fast forward time and just live in the moment.
 

Matt Steven: Last week I had the chance for the second time to go down to North Carolina with level to visit Rocky Creek and triple play farms. It was an amazing experience I was able to have. The activities that we did were working with the horses being able to paint different projects for the farm and being around many great people. This is a great experience.  The staff that works at triple play and Rocky Creek are some very amazing people. It is really amazing that this is already the second year in a row that this trip was put together and I really hope it continues. It was an absolutely amazing time.


Kate Murray: Before going on the trip I was a bit apprehensive and nervous because I had never been involved with LEVEL before. But, from the second that I met everyone Saturday morning through our final goodbyes when we got back to Villanova, I never questioned whether I felt accepted or welcomed by the LEVEL community. LEVEL absolutely radiates love for every person that they encounter, exuding and fulfilling their mission of inclusion to every person that they meet. I felt this love immediately, even finding myself overflowing with that love for the people that I met throughout the week.

This trip gave me a wonderful opportunity to not only meet people with varying abilities but to also learn from them and their experiences. My assumptions and expectations were constantly challenged throughout the week, which helped re-frame my perspective of the world around me. On top of this, I was able to meet the amazing staff members at Rocky Creek Ranch, Triple Play, Farm, and the Community School of Davidson. Their passion and dedication to their work continued to amaze me, and I hope that one day I too can feel that amount of passion for my work. The relationships that I built on this trip made my experience unforgettable, and I will forever cherish the memories that I made in North Carolina.


Carter Young: I am thankful to have participated in the LEVEL Break Trip again. I have gotten so much closer to the friends I already have, the staff at Rocky Creek and Triple Play Farm, the staff and students at CSD, I saw some of the animals (which was one of my favorite parts), we got to meet Greg’s father-in-law’s family again, and we did all sorts of fun work and activities. There were plenty of differences between this trip and the last, one of which being that some of my LEVEL friends did not come on it again, while some new people came along. We only saw the horses, dogs, ducks, and chickens this year, and not the donkeys, mules, or goats unfortunately, but at least what we did not get in quantity, we got in quality with the fun moments we had with the horses, like the horse communication game at the beginning of the week (which was more successful than last year’s). I even had my own personal fun moments with the horses licking or touching me (like I was their pet), or that moment when I was eating cheerios and one of the horses was pawing on the ground because it wanted my food. The Methodist Church was a new experience this year, and it was a little awkward for some of us, but we also had some fun with it as well, especially with the differences and similarities we noticed between the Methodist Church and a Catholic Church, which we are used to seeing. We also got to play some new fun games on Connor’s switch, with the Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity style games, where we were laughing at some of the most creative, weird, and awkward answers to the two games questions. The meetings we had were pretty deep, like last year’s, and this helped us connect with everyone else on the trip more. I also enjoyed that part at the end of the week where I was helping paint one of the artistic tiles for the barn, and some of my friends on the trip helped me out, including Matt Stevens and my roommate on the trip, Connor. After the LEVEL Break Trip, I felt greater energy and focus with my work at school since I disconnected from my electronics, just as everyone else on the trip did. Hope this serves as a lesson for me moving forward. I also want to visit the area on my own time, especially to visit the school where many of Rocky Creek and Triple Play Farm’s clients go, especially since it reminds me of my own college prep school that helped me get where I am at now.


Mia Latran: It’s been a week since we all piled into the vans and waved goodbye to Rocky Creek Ranch and Statesville, North Carolina. In the days since, I have tried my best to keep the same conscious mindset and mentality in order to be more aware of others, myself, my thoughts, my words, my actions, my decisions, and how all of these things affect other people.

I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to grow with and learn from so many amazing people and I am inspired by their strength, courage, compassion, and love. They encouraged me to be vulnerable and they challenged me to “get comfortable being uncomfortable.” Something so special that I treasure about this group of truly wonderful people is that I can be my most vulnerable and authentic self with them without having even the smallest fear of being judged or rejected. They allow people to be unguarded and true to who they are, and they celebrate and accept everyone’s differences and genuine selves.

For me, the week that we spent in North Carolina was a much-needed reality check and a reminder of what is important and valuable in life. My biggest challenge moving forward will be trying to continue to live out the lessons that I learned, once my chaotic life at Villanova resumes and other seemingly-urgent tasks jump to the forefront of my mind. I hope that the work that we did, the friendships that we formed, the connections that we discovered, the challenges that we faced, the discussions that we had, the stigmas that we broke, and the impacts that we made persist for much longer than just our week spent in North Carolina. Obviously, we all live busy lives and we have other priorities. However, I hope that I can carry the message of acceptance with me through every triumph, failure, and unexpected turn that I encounter. I hope that I can use the gifts that I have been given to promote inclusivity everywhere I go and to everyone whom I meet, even when it seems like a daunting uphill battle.


August Geiermann: Upon returning to Villanova after seven days full of eye-opening experiences, budding friendships, and overall comradery, I looked back in the direction of Statesville, North Carolina, and realized how much of an impact this trip had on both myself and undoubtedly the individuals with whom we interacted throughout our experiences. Those days flashed backward in my subconscious as each individual experience manifested itself as if to convince my mind, still reeling from our last reflection, that what I’d done had truly made a difference. I immediately became fast friends with the students at the Community School of Davidson. I reflected on the snarky small talk with the staff at Rocky Creek Ranch as I placed my seventh layer of paint on my barn quilt board, Andrew Wykowski, faithful roommate for 2 years and counting, continuing to complain about my constant snoring and Connor Hayes’ love of classic and throwback rock songs, and his newfound bond with me over Quinn XCII. “All these worlds are mine,” I thought, echoing David Bowman in Arthur C. Clarke’s 2001, and I began to question why I’d been so pessimistic and melodramatic during our last night together. It dawned on me that regardless of what took place on any one day on our trip I was a growing, maturing, and ultimately better individual because of all the positives it is innately human to tend to overlook. I knew in my heart of hearts that the trip would have a lasting impact on me, not least exemplified by the newfound friends I gained throughout (looking at you, Ben, Kerry, and Bridget), and yet I still felt something was unresolved. I know that in my last blog post I mentioned that my work from the break trip wasn’t complete, and despite my newfound revelations I still believe this to be true. I may have grown as a person, but it now has fallen to me to use this incredible experience as a catalyst for deeper, more lasting change. I know it will not be easy, for change is never so. The truth has revealed itself, however, and I now know that in this continuing, shaping maturing of my mind and spirit that all who impacted me over these seven inspiring days will always and forever continue to do so.


Katie Baird: Between my two service break trips with Villanova, I can say that they have both greatly enriched my college experience. This one particularly allowed me to become vulnerable, step outside of my comfort zone, combat assumptions, serve, and educate and interact with the surrounding community. I especially feel re-centered and challenged to act in accordance with my values both with justice and integrity. This trip was unique in the fact that it involved a great amount of self-reflection in addition to the day to day responsibilities we were called to do. The horse interactions were especially a heartening part of the trip for me; these encounters allowed me to learn more about these compassionate animals and about myself.

I love when I have the opportunity to step away from my normal routine and grow from different surroundings and relationships. I always approach new experiences with apprehension; however, I have found that they are nothing but uplifting and inspiring. I am excited to take all the memories, lessons, friendships, and newfound insight back to campus with me and allow them to influence all that I continue to do in life.


 Anthony Critelli: The spring break trip to North Carolina was truly one of the greatest experiences I have had at Villanova so far. There were so many moments that I can look back on and laugh about, but more importantly, there were moments where I truly saw myself grow. From the van rides to the projects that we worked on all week, there were so many times that I found myself smiling and laughing with the other members of the trip. Even though I know the work we did all week was important, personally I believe the most important part of the trip was the bonding and the relationships I built with the group.

Through these relationships, I was able to discover a lot about myself, especially during our daily reflections. I came into this experience being kind of introverted and not wanting to share a lot about myself to the group. The more comfortable I got with the group; however, the more I found myself sharing and the more vulnerable I allowed myself to become. I am incredibly grateful that David, Greg, and Andrew lead the reflections and posed some deep reflective questions because they forced us to think about what we truly value. I will forever remember what I learned on this trip and I will try my best every day to apply them in my daily life.


Becca Riedel: It’s crazy how fast a week can go by when you’re spending it with great people all working towards a great cause. Going into the week, I was excited to go back to the places I had served last year on the same break trip. This year, I was excited to spend more time with the students at CSD and hear their stories. We got to build relationships with the students and work on service projects at both CSD and the discovery trail. They were so excited to work with us and hearing how much they loved being at Rocky Creek Ranch made the work we were doing so much more important.

Coming back to Villanova, I hope that I can continue to end the stigma about disabilities and educate others. I want to find opportunities to volunteer in the surrounding community and build relationships with students like we did at CSD.  Seeing the love and dedication that the individuals at Rocky Creek put into their work every day I was inspiring, and I hope I can come back to Villanova with their message and spread it. This week helped me realize how easy it is to serve others and do something you are passionate about. It was a great way to take a step back and not be so concerned with school work, but use my time and energy to make a lasting impact. It was a week filled with a lot of smiles, service and time spent with incredible people.


Bridget Ryan: Grateful is the first word that comes to mind as I reflect on the break trip to North Carolina. As I look through photos and chat with new friends, I can’t help but smile. I was able to connect with the animals at Triple Play and Rocky Creek and build friendships with my Villanova peers. The painting projects and Discovery Trail garden were a special way to leave our mark at Rocky Creek. It was an honor participating in Monarch’s memorial and creating the beautiful butterfly garden. Getting the opportunity to be fully present and disconnected from technology was refreshing and taught me the value of living in the moment. I really enjoyed going to two different masses and starting off lent with a fresh perspective. As I transition back to my daily life at Villanova, I hope to continue living in the moment. I cannot express how grateful I am to everyone that organized and took part in such an amazing experience! I look forward to getting more involved in LEVEL and hopefully going back to Rocky Creek and Triple Play one day! 


Ben Bott: After a week of hard work, learning, and a lot of fun, the Level trip has come to an end.  This week has been an unforgettable experience for all of us.  From the service we did with the students of CSD, to the experiences we had with the horses, the relationships we built with our group and those we encountered along the way will stick with us for a long time.  This trip taught us all a lot.  Working with the horses and participating in horse therapy, I was shocked at how much I learned about myself along the way.  This form of therapy helped me to understand leadership skills and problem-solving, and through it, I became more confident about myself and my decision-making.  Not only this, but I also learned that horses can hold lots of human emotions and can be a great support and relief system for a human.  These stoic animals help people to forget about what is troubling them and they allow humans to be present and live in the moment.  This learning experience combined with the signs and gardens we built for the farm made for an excellent service trip.  Throughout the week, we reflected on this trip and the things we did each day.  These conversations with our group dug deep into the roots of why we have assumptions, and how we can shape our lives and priorities to work towards ending social stigma. 

This trip was an amazing experience.  I’m so grateful for the people I have met, and I am excited to work with everyone at school to show everyone on campus all that we learned and apply it to my daily life.


Kerry Miller: This past week getting back into my regular routine of class, work, and homework has been difficult. Normally after breaks, I am excited and energized to return to campus and reunite with all my friends. I found myself missing Rocky Creek, Triple Play, and all the amazing animals and people who welcomed me into their hearts. All I could do this past week was talk about my incredible experience on the break trip and continually look through the photos reminiscing. I didn’t know what to expect when we embarked, but I can honestly say this trip has made such an impact on me and will be one of my most cherished college memories. I am so grateful for everyone who made the trip possible and challenged me to push myself out of my comfort zone and see things through a different lens. I know the experiences we had will stay with us forever and have changed who we are and how we go about making a difference in the world around us. 







Connor Hayes: I am so glad I went on this incredible trip. I got to meet new people, develop new relationships, and grow as a person. This experience gave me time to step back and look at what's going on in my life. We discussed how time is a valuable thing and we only have so much of it. I know I can say that the week was time well spent, and I am so lucky to have the chance to have this experience. Thank you to everyone involved for making this so special. 


Andrew Wykowski:
 In this final reflection on the trip all I would like to say is thank you for allowing us to experience this trip with your son or daughter. They are all incredible people who have unique and amazing understandings of the world around them. A lot of that comes from the foundations that parents give their kids as they grow up. You give them the ability to explore new things and taught them to question the world around them. You should know that the children you have raised will do incredible things because they do not stop questioning the injustices that exist in the world.




Greg Hannah: What started out as a vision of mine 3 years ago turned into a reality last year sending 21 students of all abilities to carry out the first fully accessible break trip to North Carolina. Thanks to the support of The Office of Disability Services (Steve/Matt), the creative team of Tracy and Bob Byrnes, Brian Muscarella, Steve Murphy, Rocky Creek Ranch, Triple Play Farms, the Community School of Davidson (CSD), and with members of the University Advancement Team year one was a success and planning for year two began once we returned.

This year we enhanced the program in a variety of ways. We increased our partnership with CSD, we invited a new campus partner (Campus Ministry) which brought us a great advisor (David Walsh), and with some feedback from last years group we made a few changes that led to increased moments of impact for all involved. I am sure its evident in all our students blog posts!

I want to thank my wife Diana who keeps everything going and truly believes in our students and the mission of LEVEL. I want to thank all members of the Nova Nation who support this program and have supported us with their heart, friendship, network, and financial contributions that lead to memories that last a lifetime for our students. I am so thankful for the Byrnes family and the beautiful partnership we have built in North Carolina with Rocky Creek Ranch, Triple Play Farms, and CSD. The best is yet to come...!

It’s an honor to stand alongside students who set out to change the way people see ability and I look forward to what’s next.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Break Trip 2020

Friday March 6